If you are looking to know about sexual orientation you have or of anyone you care about then the objective can be achieved through a test. Sexual orientation indicates the person’s preference for the type of sexual relationship that can decide grouping in a particular category. For instance, a man getting attracted to a person of the same sex can be termed as gay or homosexual. A sexual orientation test can get a conclusive determination of the emotional, physical, and sexual preference of the person put to test.
Broad Categories of Sexual Orientation
Using a set of well-designed questions the experts determine the sexual orientation of the person concerned. Usually, the first step of the sexual orientation test aims at categorizing a person into one of the following six broad categories.
- Heterosexual where the people are attracted to have sexual relations with people of the opposite sex;
- Bisexual where the people desire to have a sexual relationship with either sex;
- Homosexual where people are attracted to a sexual encounter with same-sex;
- Pansexual where people are sexually attracted to anyone irrespective of gender considerations; and
- Asexual where people are not attracted to others for sexual activities.
Indicators Determining Sexual Orientation
According to scientists, sexual orientation is based on environmental, hormonal, biological, and emotional factors. Thus while there are several indicators their nature, as well as intensities, can vary from one person to another. These factors have nothing to do with the grooming by parents or some experience during the childhood of a person.
It also does not make the person abnormal. Other scientific indicators are identified through a sexual orientation test conducted on the subject. The idea is that these tests are designed to know one’s preferences in choosing partners for sexual partners and not on finding what caused the development of such attitude in him or her in sexual life.
Learning About Your Sexual Orientation
The common question about sexual orientation is how I can know about my sexual orientation? There can be two ways of finding the truth.
- You can check about the people or activities that trigger sexual desire in you effortlessly; and
- When you are unable to identify a trigger point for the purpose you can resort to a sexual orientation test designed by experts.
An interesting fact about this is that many people discover their sexual orientation by the time they become young adults even without any practical sexual experience. However, many others do not have such knowledge and cannot identify their sexual orientation on their own. These are the ones that can find the answer through a test to determine their sexual orientation.
Sexual Orientation is Static
It is important to learn about the nature of sexual orientation of men and women and some universal characteristics of it.
- Unlike many other habits the sexual orientation is not dynamic but is static as it cannot be changed;
- Some people hide their true sexual orientation to avoid facing social embarrassments as in the case of gay and lesbian people as until recently these were considered unacceptable;
- While an intelligently devised sexual orientation test can easily bring out the truth the scientists have found through prolonged research that sexual orientation cannot be changed using treatments like conversion therapy and others; and
- According to experts such treatments aimed at sexual orientation changes can be damaging for the health and well-being of the person administered with such treatments.
That is why the American Medical Association has termed such attempts as clinically and ethically inappropriate.
Getting External Help
Once your sexual orientation is determined through a quality sexual orientation test the next step will be avoiding social stigma for those that have orientation other than heterogamous orientation. The reason is that most of the time people having homosexual and animal sex orientation are looked down upon in society and are subjected to various discriminating practices by others.
The good news for such people is that many support groups are supporting LGBTQ people fighting for their rightful place in society. Incidentally, the term LGBTQ stands for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer. They also inspire people to take part in orientation tests without fear of losing their status in society.
Origin of Sexual Orientation Test
Many people wonder about the origin of the sexual orientation test. While some scales existed in the industry it was Michael Storms that came up with the Erotic Response and Orientation Scale. The eminent psychologist developed this scale to address the issues faced in the implementation of the prevalent Kinsey Scale Tests. The new process developed by Storms proved to be more effective and determined of orientation through an easy process.
Sexual Orientation Test for Identifying Sexual Behavior
All said and done, the main objective of conducting the sexual orientation test is to identify the sex behavioral pattern followed by a person. However, the experts carrying out the test need to take the following steps for maintaining the quality of the test.
- Developing a set of most relevant questions either in form of a multiple-choice quiz or any other that would be able to identify the exact sexual orientation of the subject put to test;
- Since sexuality is a much broader term in comparison to another behavioral pattern the questions should be pin-pointed; and
- They should inspire a sense of safety and security in the mind of the person undergoing the test so that he or she honestly answers the questions and accurate results can be generated.
These are also the point where the experience and expertise of the psychiatrist would come into play.
The bottom line of all these is that by conducting a qualitative albeit simple sexual orientation test the specific sexual orientation of a person can be accurately determined. The necessity however that is the qualitative test should be handled by a psychiatrist with experience and knowledge in the field.